Other Great Lakes Lighthouses - John H Bowman Photos
Port Clinton Pier Light (1896), since restored & relocated (OH)

Port Clinton Pier Light (1896), since restored & relocated (OH)

En route to Marblehead Lighthouse, found this old Port Clinton lighthouse; Port Clinton first got lighthouse in 1832, decommisioned 1859, recommissioned 1864, once again decommissioned 1870 & lantern removed from stone tower (tower razed, 1899); piers extended into Lake Erie from mouth of Portage River & pier light authorized 1895, & this wooden structure put in service 1896; automated 1911; new skeletal structure put in service 1952, when marina owner bought this 1896 wooden tower & moved it to his marina, where we saw it May 2009 (prior to the sale, a 5th-order Fresnel lens was in the wooden tower); new marina owners donated tower to city of Port Clinton 2011, city & Port Clinton Lighthouse Conservancy worked together (not always smoothly) and restored 1896 tower was placed in Water Works Park, near the river & lakeshore, in August 2016 [from Lighthouse Friends, on line]

BoatsGreat Lakes lighthousesHarbors marinasLake Erie lighthousesLighthousesMichiganOH lighthousesOhioOttawa CoPort ClintonSailboatsUS States