Mid-Atlantic Lighthouses - John H Bowman Photos
Old Cape Henry Lighthouse, 1792 (VA)

Old Cape Henry Lighthouse, 1792 (VA)

The two Cape Cape Henry lighthouses sit 357 feet apart, now inside the security gates of the Fort Story U.S. Army base; the old stone tower is on south side of Atlantic Avenue and the new cast-iron tower is on the north side, nearer the shore. Old Cape Henry Lighthouse, built 1792, was the first lighthouse built by the new U.S. federal government; it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1966 (entry 66000910) and is also a National Historic Landmark. Cracks discovered about 1870 led to building of New Cape Henry lighthouse in 1880-81; it is made of prefabricated cast iron panels. New Cape Henry Lighthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2002 (entry 02001439). Automated in1983, the new lighthouse is still an active aid to navigation. At 165 feet, New Cape Henry Lighthouse is nearly twice as tall as Old Cape Henry Lighthouse, but the old one sits on a high dune.

Blue skiesHistoricLighthousesNRHPNational Historic LandmarkOld Cape Henry LighthouseStone lighthousesStone structuresStoneworkVA lighthousesVirginiaVirginia Beach