Bodie Island lighthouse, on North Carolina’s Outer Banks, lies between Currituck Beach light at Corolla and Cape Hatteras light at Buxton. Current lighthouse tower is the third one at Hatteras. The first (1848) had a poor foundation due to U.S. Treasury skimping and soon had to be replace; second (1859) tower was blown up by Confederate troops to keep it from aiding Union Navy. Current lighthouse, built 1870-72 (soon after Cape Hatteras light) has brick tower and cast iron lantern room with first-order Fresnel lens; it measures 150 feet to top of the tower, 165 feet to top of the lantern room, and 156 feet from ground to focal plane. Still an active aid to navigation, Bodie Island Light was transferred from Coast Guard to National Park Service in 2000. The keeper’s house built in 1893 is now the visitor center. Bodie Island Light Station was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2003 (entry 03000607).
Atlantic lighthousesBodie Island LightDare CoLighthousesNC lighthousesNorth CarolinaOuter Banks