Other Churches & Chapels - John H Bowman Photos
Lee Chapel, Washington & Lee University

Lee Chapel, Washington & Lee University

Lee Chapel & Museum, Washington & Lee University; after American Civil War, Robert E Lee was president of Washington College 5 years, until his October 1870 death; 1st called College Chapel, brick Victorian chapel built as multi-use facility, completed in time for 1868 graduation exercises; Lee attended daily worship services here with students; extended to rear after his death to house marble statue, Recumbent Lee, by Edward Valentine, behind altar; lower level included Lee's office (preserved much as he left it) & student center (now museum); Lee family crypt added on lower level as part of the expansion; Lee's horse, Traveller, is buried just outside lower-level SW entrance; chapel history on W&L website shows chapel was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1960, was restored 1962-63 "with the support of the Ford Motor Company Fund", & was renovated in 1998, in time for 1999 celebration of 250th anniversary of school's founding; added to National Register of Historic Places, 1966 (66000914); main floor & balcony seat up to 525, various concerts, lecture series, etc, are held here

CampusesCanon 5D3Canon24704LChurches chapelsCollegeuniversity buildingsFlowers plantsHistoricLee ChapelLexingtonNRHPNational Historic LandmarkSmugMugVirginiaWashington Lee University

From Washington & Lee University